The Bachelor of Arts with a major in anthropology requires a minimum of 120 s.h., including at least 33 s.h. of work for the major. Students must maintain a g.p.a. of at least 2.00 in all courses for the major and in all UI courses for the major. They also must complete the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences GE CLAS Core. Anthropology courses that fulfill GE CLAS Core requirements are located under "Anthropology GE CLAS Core Courses" in the Department of Anthropology section of the General Catalog.

Undergraduates majoring in anthropology, including transfer students, must earn a minimum of 15 s.h. for the major at the University of Iowa. Students may apply credit earned at approved field schools offered by other institutions toward the major, with Department of Anthropology approval.

The major is designed to offer a comprehensive overview of anthropology's four main subfields and the broadest possible cross-cultural background. Students may choose to complete one of four specialized tracks: cultural resource and heritage management, gender and culture, environmental anthropology, or medical anthropology.

Listed below are the general categories of coursework required to earn the degree; for more specific information on courses, curriculum, and requirements of the Bachelor of Arts in anthropology, visit the UI General Catalog.

Coursework Requirements
Title Hours
Common Requirements 24
Electives 9
Optional Track (see below)  
Total Hours 33

Optional Tracks

Students have the option of adding a particular focus to their study plan by completing a specialized track. They may choose one of four options: cultural resource and heritage management, gender and culture, environmental anthropology, or medical anthropology.

The optional tracks reflect broad issues bridging subfields in and outside of anthropology. Completion of a track indicates the acquisition of considerable expertise and is noted on a student's transcript.

The optional tracks each require 15 s.h. (five courses). By selecting courses carefully, students majoring in anthropology can complete a specialization track without adding to the semester hours required for graduation.

More information on the available tracks can be found on the Tracks of Study page.

Teacher Licensure

Students interested in teaching in elementary and/or secondary schools should seek admission to the Teacher Education Program (TEP) in the College of Education.

To qualify for licensure in secondary teaching, students in the TEP complete a degree in education as well as a related College of Liberal Arts and Sciences degree. See Teacher Education Program Application and Admission on the College of Education website for details on requirements and deadlines for applying to the College of Education and about TEP choices of majors leading to licensure.